I’m pumped to finally get a chance to blog about the Dell Streak tablet device. The 5-inch tablet launched first to customers in the United Kingdom in early June 2010 but South African consumers will now be able to purchase it.
We’ve been selling Dell for 6 years, and I don’t think there’s ever been more buzz around a single product than this. Hardware and design-wise, this thing impresses. Add the ever-increasing capability that Android brings to the equation, and you’ve got a mobile device that offers a ton of flexibility while looking cool in the process. The Dell Streak brings together a great web browsing experience, multi-tasking capability, slick turn by turn navigation and a great way to enjoy your photos, movies and music into a sleek device that’s built for mobility.
The Dell Streak is a hybrid device that lives in the space between a smartphone and other larger tablets or netbooks that you might be using right now. Dell designed it to provide a wide range of users flexibility to do what they need with a mobile device. That’s why the Dell Streak is packed with a lot of features.
There are a couple of things that really stand out on the Dell Streak. The vivid, 5-inch diagonal display may seem only slightly larger than many of the smartphones making waves out there specs-wise. But when that larger screen is coupled with higher pixel density, it’s surprising how much difference that extra inch and a half or so makes in everyday activities like browsing the web, playing games or watching video. Because it’s made with Gorilla Glass the screen also has a pretty big durability advantage over more fragile mobile devices. The Dell Streak is thin (10mm-which is thinner than a lot of mobile devices out there), and though it’s just a bit heavier than other smartphones, it feels solid and balanced-which makes using it pretty natural across a number of activities. There are also all kinds of Dell Streak accessories like a car dock kit, battery replacements, a home AV dock and more (more details to follow about when/if these will be available in South Africa).
Hardware-wise, the Dell Streak features the following:
- A sharp 5-inch capacitive multi-touch WVGA (800×480) display for a great full-screen experience watching video or browsing the web
- Fast 1GHz Snapdragon ARM-based mobile processor from Qualcomm
- 5 MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash that offers easy point & shoot capability and quick uploads to YouTube, Flickr, Facebook and more
- VGA front-facing camera enables video chat functionality down the road
- A user-removable (and replaceable) battery
- A 3.5mm headphone jack means many of you can use the Dell Streak as the music source (and more) in your car
- Integrated 3G + Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + Bluetooth 2.1 (think headsets, external keyboards, stereo headsets, etc.)
- UMTS / GPRS / EDGE class 12 GSM radio with link speeds of HSDPA 7.2 Mbps / HSUPA
- A user-accessible Micro SD slot expandable up to 32GB. That means you can store lots of movies, music, photos or other kinds of files.
On the software side, here’s what you can expect:
- A customized multi-touch version of the Google Android operating system that features Dell user interface enhancements
- Access to over 38,000 apps (and growing) via the Android Marketplace
- Microsoft Exchange connectivity and integration through TouchDown
- Google Voice support
- Integrated Google Maps with voice-activated search, turn-by-turn navigation, street and satellite views
- Quick access to activity streams via integrated social network app widgets like Twitter, Facebook, YouTube
- Like an increasing number of our laptop and netbook products, Dell Streak will ship with cushions made from compostable bamboo.
The Dell Streak is now available in Red colour from from WebAntics Online at R6524.13 Incl VAT